Check Back Soon!

Recently Updated March 11 2024 Allan Lonsberry 107 Timber Wolf Battalion

Saturday 8 December 2018

Percy McCracken


Signaller Percy McCracken

33rd Battery Canadian Field Artillery/ 12th Artillery Brigade
Regimental Number 304012


Percy Howard McCracken was born on July 20th, 1896 to parents Frank and Elizabeth McCracken in Dummer Township, Ontario. 

Percy was one of a number of Peterborough men to make the journey to Kingston to enlist with the 33rd Battery Canadian Field Artillery on October 25th 1915.  He was 19 years old, stood 5 foot 5 inches tall and weighed 116 pounds.  He had brown hair, blue eyes and a brown complexion.  He listed his occupation as a canoe builder and his religion as Methodist.  He had no previous military experience.  Percy was living in the city of Peterborough at the time of his enlistment.

Percy continued to live and train with the artillery at Barriefield Camp, Kingston before being shipped overseas.  McCracken arrived in England on the 29th of December, 1915 and was stationed in the Reserve Camp at Shorncliffe.  After some time at camp learning the art of war, Percy was assigned as a reinforcement to the 4.5 Howitzer Battery in France.  He left England on July 28th and joined the Divisional Ammunition Column in France a day later.  He remained with that unit before being transferred to the 12th Artillery Brigade on August 19th. 

Percy remained with the 12th Artillery Brigade for close to seven months in France.  A letter home during this time expresses some of his reminisces friends and family during the approach of Christmas.  The mention of talking over the telephone, as well as Percy’s rank of Signaller at the bottom of the letter, indicate that he was already Percy preforming the role as a telephone signaller between the front line artillery and the 12th Brigade Headquarters.  

“H.O.S. 12th Brigade, C.E.F.
1st Can. Division, 304012
France, Nov. 11th.

Dear Mother,- Just a few lines to let you know I am well, hoping you are all the same. I have not had a letter from you in about a week now, but I expect one before long. I had a letter from Lottie Hamilton a few days ago, also one from Burwell Moore. In the last letter from Ethel, she told me that Stan Smith was dead. I was very sorry to hear it. I knew he had been wounded, but did not know whether he was dead or not. I guess his wife will feel pretty bad over him.  I also saw where Brent Morris was dead. He was a fine fellow. He was up to camp with us the time I was at the lakes. I was talking to Bert over the telephone the other day. He was well then. I met Charlie Sharpe one day last week. He was just out here a short time. He looks pretty well too. What kind of weather are you having over there?  Pretty cold I guess. We are having a lot of rain just at present. There is a heavy mist forming, I will expect that it will turn to rain before it is finished.

Well I guess you will be busy getting ready for Christmas by the time you get this letter. Now I don’t want you to go spending a lot of money buying things to send out to me, for I will be all right here. Well I am going to ask you would you please send me some ‘tid-bits’. I like to get a good candy once in a while, and we can’t buy very much, only chocolate bars over here, so I thought you would buy me a [?], but I don’t want you to go buying a lot of things for I may never get them at all. I only wish that I was in a place where I could buy something to send to you, for you have been awfully good to me, sending me so many boxes over., but I hope to be able to pay you back your kindness someday, I don’t want you to worry about me, for I am all right over here. I don’t see very much excitement.
Well, I guess I’ll have to come to a close as news is very scarce around here,

Sig, P.H. McCracken.”

Percy was assigned to the 1st Canadian Division Trench Mortar Battery on March 25th 1917.  His experience with the Trench Mortars was short as after less than two months, he left them to join the 1st Canadian Division Signal Company.  In a letter home to his sister Dora in Peterborough in July 1917, Percy details the nature of his service:

“We are having buried cable to all our batteries now, so that will be a lot easier on the linemen. We used to have all overhead wires and the shrapnel cut them up pretty bad.  The cable is seven feet underground all the way. We expect them to finish to-morrow night.  They can only work at it at nights from dark till about 2 a.m. If Fritz saw them in the early day time he would give them some iron rations, and none of the fellows care for that.  The linemen all have to go out and lay the cable in the trench before the working party gets out there. The working party is generally infantry. We have had some of the trench mortars digging too. We are supposed to see that they do it right. It seems funny for us to be giving orders to the fellows we used to work with.

Ethel asked me in her letter what I was doing. I was sent from the trench mortars in April 8th to Divisional Signals, where I was attached to April 13th. I was then sent to 2nd Brigade, where I was attached till about May 15th.  I was then transferred to that Brigade. About three days after I was transferred to the 1st Divisional Signal Company. About a month later we were all transferred to the Signal Company of the Canadian Engineers, so I belong to the Signal Company of the Canadian Engineers, attached to the Artillery.  She also asked me if I am on the ‘phones. I am on the ‘phone part of the time and on the lines part of the time. Being on the lines I mean that I go out and mend the lines when they get hit with a shell or get broken.”

Shortly after the letter was written Percy was shown as attending the Canadian Corps Signal School on July 9th 1917 for training. After a month he resumed his duties with the Signal Company. 

McCracken was awarded the good conduct badge on October 25th, 1917 for a year’s service with no infractions.  He received his first leave to England on December 2nd 1917 and returned without incident two weeks later to join his unit in France.

McCracken was transferred to the Canadian Signal Pool at the end of March 1918, and remained there until the war ended.  He remained in France, but was struck down with a serious case of influenza on February 22nd 1919 which sidelined him from duty for close to a month.  After returning to health, McCracken was posted to the Canadian Engineer Reinforcement Depot in Havre, France on the first of March of 1919 and a month later was transferred to the camp at Seaford, England.

McCracken remained in England for two more months before sailing to Canada on May 11th.  He was formally discharged from military service in Kingston on May 22nd, 1919.

Sources
Canada. "Soldiers of the First World War (1914-1918)." Record Group 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 4930 - 35. Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa.
Library and Archives Canada. Census of Canada, 1901. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada, 2004. http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1901/Pages/about-census.aspxl. Series RG31-C-1. Statistics Canada Fonds. Microfilm reels: T-6428 to T-6556.
Original data: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, RG 85. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration.
Archives of Ontario. Registrations of Births and Stillbirths – 1869-1913. MS 929, reels 1-245. Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Archives of Ontario.
“Important Meeting of Peterboro’ Branch of the War Veterans”. Peterborough evening Examiner. July 31 1917. P.5
“To-Day’s Military News Continued” Peterborough Evening Examiner, November 13 1916, P.7

No comments:

Post a Comment